MaryJo Juarez, Government Contracting Expert, Consultant at NAPTAC & Astra Board Member sees an increasing volume of opportunities, especially with Prime Contractors, for WBEs. Here are MaryJo’s top action items using your WOSB Certification for success:
- Learn the language – Government contracting is different. Start with the SBA website as a resource & learn the different acronyms. Present your marketing materials with the information the Contracting Officers need on your business cards, Capability Statements (Services) & on your Line Cards (products).
- Research who buys what you sell – All agencies are different but most put together a buying forecast each September that lists everything the agency will be buying. If you don’t see these posted online ask the agency representatives for a copy when you see them at events. PTACs are a good resource and offer assistance to small businesses at low/no cost including “Bid Match” that matches you with opportunities as they are posted online.
- Go to events -Find out where the Primes are going to be. Often times they list their outreach events on their websites. Follow Astra’s Events & plan to attend the partner outreach events that they are attending.
- Ask for help & build relationships – The only unanswered question is the one that is not asked. Build your network & use it. Reach out to Astra Leaders.
Thank you to Astra Corporate Member URS for sponsoring Astra’s webinar on February 20,2012: “WOSB – What Next?” For more information about URS’ supplier diversity program visit their website.
> Webinar Slides: WOSB- What Next? (PDF)
became an official 3rd party certifier for the SBA WOSB program in 2011. Since September 2011, Astra Women’s Business Alliance has provided 3rd party WOSB certification for WBEs.
Congratulations to:All Bay Realty
, Artemia Communications, Inc.
, Benbow International PR, Inc.
, Calypso Software Inc.
, Charitar Realty
,Computer Magic Training, LLC
, D & F Properties
, DammelLaw PLLC
, EDE Group Inc.,Financial Knowledge Network, LLC
,Kennedy Consulting Services, LLC
,Law Offices of Mary L. Topliff
,Lile International Companies
, MARCO Ideas Unlimited, Inc.
, Mayner Business Law, P.S.
, Motive Power, Inc.
, New Light Realty, Inc.
, Preferred Corporate Services, Inc.
,Realty Solutions, Inc.
,Valcor Media Group, Inc.
3 Links for help using your WOSB Certification:
WBENC WOSB Microsite
– WBENC became a 3rd party certifier for the WOSB program in 2011 & provides this service in addition to WBENC certification. WBENC RPO’s facilitate the certification process.
Interested in Government Contracting but don’t know where to start?
Here’s a quicklist of sites to consider:
- Federal Business Opportunities (FEDBIZOPPS) www.FBO.gov – A single point of entry for finding Federal Contracts. Check out their “Getting Started” videos.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) – www.SBA.gov – Keep up with all of SBA’s great information by subscribing to their news. Reach out and network with your local contacts.
- Central Contractor Registration (CCR) – www.CCR.gov – Not yet registered in CCR? Start with a look at the user guide.
- Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) – www.MBDA.gov
- National Women’s Business Council (NWBC) – http://www.Womenbiz.gov
- General Services Administration (GSA) – www.GSA.gov Check out their blog.
- North American Industry Classification Systems (NAICS codes) – www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/ Visit their site for a listing of updates to the 2007 codes effective 2012.
- Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (APTAC) –www.APTAC-us.org/new/
- Veterans Affairs Webpage for VOSB’s and SDVOSB’s – www.VETbiz.gov
- USA Spending – www.USASpending.gov – A searchable database to find out who buys what from whom.
On the February 1st the SBA announced procedures for their new Women Owned Small Business Program (WOSB). Astra has received a copy of the SBA presentation “How to use GLS and the WOSB Program Repository” to share with our members and it is available on our website. This presentation provides practical guidance on submitting documentation to the SBA inorder to qualify as a WOSB.